Our Guide On How To Apply Gel Polish
Want to learn how to apply gel nail polish at home? Here at Naio Nails, we’re going to show you exactly how.
Providing a beautifully glossy, chip-resistant and longer-lasting manicure than standard polish, it’s easy to see why gel polish manicures have become a hugely popular nail treatment in recent years! Applying gel nails yourself is also easy once you know how to. From the prep to the polish itself, read on for our guide on how to apply gel polish correctly to achieve salon-worthy results at home.
The products you’ll need:
- UV or LED Lamp
- Naio Nails Nail Prep Dehydrator
- Naio Nails 180 grit File
- Stone or Metal Cuticle Pusher
- Naio Nails White Block
- Naio Nails Gel Residue Wipe Off Solution
- Urban Graffiti Basecoat
- Urban Graffiti Topcoat
- The Urban Graffiti Gel Polish Colour of your choice!
- Naio Nails Cuticle Oil
You can also purchase our Naio Nails Gel Polish Starter Kit containing all the products needed for Gel Polish Manicure.
How to Prepare Your Nails
Before you apply your gel polish, you’ll need to properly prepare your natural nails:
- File and shape your natural nails in the desired shape with a soft nail file.
- Gently push back all cuticles from the nail plate.
- Remove any shine from the nail plate using our white block, making sure to go around all of the edges of the nail. This step is critical for a long-lasting manicure.
- Remove natural nail oils and any excess dust from the nail using a Lint-free Wipe and Gel Residue Wipe off Solution.
- Once all nails are clean and free of any debris, apply a layer of Naio Nails Prep/Dehydrator to dehydrate. Be sure to avoid touching your nails at this stage to ensure you have a clean base to work on.
How to Apply Gel Polish
Your nails are now ready for your gel polish!
- Apply a thin layer of Urban Graffiti Basecoat evenly. Don’t forget to cap the free edge of the nail and cure for 30 seconds in an LED lamp or for 2 minutes in UV Lamp.
- Apply the first layer of your chosen Urban Graffiti Gel Polish thinly. To Avoid flooding cuticles leave a small gap between gel polish colour and cuticle area. Cap the free edge. Cure again, for 30 seconds in an LED lamp or for 2 minutes in UV Lamp.
- If needed apply a second layer of Urban Graffiti Gel Polish and cure it.
- Once all layers are cured, apply our Urban Graffiti Topcoat for a long-lasting shine. Cap the free edge and cure for 30 seconds in an LED lamp or for 2 minutes in UV Lamp. Urban Graffiti Top Coat leaves no sticky layer, saving you an extra step and time.
- Treat your nails with a little bit of Naio Nails Cuticle Oil to moisturise your cuticles and leave them smelling amazing!
To watch exactly how we do it here at Naio Nails, watch our full video tutorial on how to apply gel polish to natural nails:
Now you know how to apply gel polish like a pro, you can create beautiful manicures every few weeks from the comfort of your own home! Don’t forget to tag us on our Social Media Platforms using #naionails so we can like your photos! 💕